Dog Bed Size Guide
Choosing the Correct Dog Bed Size -Tips for Selecting a Dog Bed
In today’s market there are lots of designer dog beds. However, designer dog beds are not always the best choice. What are the things we should look for in a dog bed?
1. Size. It is important to select a dog bed that will support their hips and shoulders no matter the position in which they are sleeping or resting. The dog bed you are selecting needs to be of a size that is comfortable. (see... What size dog bed is right for your pet?)
2. Comfort. It is important to find a dog bed that offers a dog comfort. If you are shopping online . . . and cannot actually touch the dog bed, read the reviews about the dog bed and what other customers have had to say about the dog bed.
3. Joints. Dogs often have issues with joints, arthritis, sore hips and suffer from bone weaknesses as they grow older. A good quality dog bed that offers support, as well as comfort, is a necessity. A memory foam dog bed is the perfect material for the dog bed you are considering for your dog.
4. Age and Health of your Dog. If your dog is an older dog – consider an orthopedic dog bed. Lots of dog beds call themselves “orthopedic,” but they are not. Memory foam is the ONLY material known to man that completely eliminates painful pressure points. If your orthopedic dog bed is not made from memory foam – it is not orthopedic.
5. Washability. Dogs need lots of exercise! Which means your dog is probably outside walking, rolling in the dirt, romping through the grass, and into all sorts of dirty things. Since you will want to keep their dog bed clean – make sure the covers are washable. Also it is nice to have extra long zippers which makes getting the covers on and off for washing so much easier.
Keeping these items in mind when selecting a dog bed for your dog will make them happy and comfortable -- and when they are comfy and happy . . . we are happy!
Remember there are three things to look for when you purchase a dog bed: high-quality, products that will last and stand the test of time and superior customer service.
What size dog bed is right for your pet?
There are three rules of thumb often used when selecting a dog bed.
- Measure Your Pet Lying Down
- Use the Weight of the Pet - some dog beds recommend weight limits
- When in doubt get the larger dog bed, not the smaller size dog bed
In general we believe that measuring your pet lying down, as he is normally accustomed to lying, is the best way.
Measure from nose or front legs, to back legs or rump; add 9" to 12."
Pick the size of the dog bed that will best fit those measurements, remembering that round dog bed measurements are in diameter (width across the circle).
Use weight with some judgment...... Weight is always an estimate; for best results...... Always Measure Your Pet.