Dog Crate Size Chart
We get a lot of questions from our customers like; what size dog crate do i need? what size dog crate to buy? how to determine what size do crate to use? how to determine dog crate size? So we put together this dog crate size chart to help our customers in finding the right size crate for your dog.
This is a dog crate size chart to help you determine what size dog crate for your dog when it becomes an adult. This is only a recommendation based on the average size of a breed or dogs weight. Please consult your pet professional for additional guidance.
Steps on how to determine size dog crate size:
- Start your dog crate buying process by measuring your dog for the right fit. The correct size dog crate should allow your dog to lie down, and turn around. When he's sitting or standing, he should have about three to four inches of extra head room.
- Measure your dog from the floor to his shoulder and add about three inches. This will give you the minimum height of the dog crate.
- Measure your dog from his head to his tail base and add about three inches. This will give you the minimum width of the dog crate.
- Consider a larger size dog crate if your dog is fully grown, and the fit is questionable.
- Use a dog crate divider if buying a dog crate for a puppy. Dividers adjust the crate's width to accomodate the puppy growth.
- Make your own divider partition using a piece of wood, if you need a dog crate divider. A number of midwest dog crates on our site do come with dividers
Dog Crate Size Chart Recommended by Breed - based on average size:
Toy Fox Terrier
24" size dog crate for small breeds weighing up to 25 lbs
Jack Russel Terrier
Toy Fox Terrier
30" size dog crate for medium breeds weighing between 26-40 lbs
American Pit Bull Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier
American Water Spaniel
King Charles Spaniel
Welsh Springer Spaniel
West Highland Terrier
36" size dog crate for large breeds weighing between 41 - 70 lbs
Australian Cattle Dog
English Springer Spaniel
Kerry Blue Terrier
Portuguese Water Dog
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
42" size dog crate for xlarge breeds weighing between 71 - 90 lbs
Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Irish Water Spaniel
48" size dog crate for xxlarge breeds weighing between 91 - 150 lbs
Bernese Mountain Dog
Bouvier Des Flandres
Dogue De Bordeaux
Old English Sheepdog
52" size dog crate for giant dogs weighing over 150 lbs
We hope we've answered these questions; how to determine dog crate size? what size dog crate to buy? what size dog crate do i need? how to determine what size do crate to use? But if we have not you are always welcome to contact us with your question about finding the right size crate for your dog.